This being K-land and all, dust wasn't too surprising to me, but the reality is that the dust in K-land isn't always from here. It gets blown here from the south of us. The following picture is of a very abnormal dust storm:
That's not a sunset. That's allllllll dust.
Dust in K-land is not orange, it's tan. This was definitely from the south of us. It was pretty gross. But Dad has actually created a unique way to take care of the dust in K-land. It's called rain. BUT rain can also lead to some gross stuff. You see, when you have the air filled with dust and it rains, what do you get?Answer: Raining Mud!
I truly didn't understand mud until I moved here. Mud, what can i say? I never knew you until now. You now fill my life with so many new experiences.
When it rains mud, you make sure to wear dark colored clothes so your light colored stuff doesn't get tie-dyed in dirt swirls. It's incredibly ironic, but cleanliness is truly next to gdliness for this culture. One must be clean in order to be close to Dad. Also, it is very inappropriate to have a dirty car if you are offering a ride to any acquaintance. So that means you should try to find a way to clean your car after it gets all muddy. Unfortunately for me, it's culturally inappropriate for girls to wash cars, or even to take them to the car wash. We have to get a guy to do it. Also, our neighborhood isn't paved and our street never dries out, so our car is always dirty. Because our street is nearly always muddy, it leads to our beautiful feet sometimes looking like this:
(However, this was an extreme circumstance.)
Normally, mud would never be this bad in our neighborhood, but we thought we knew mud well enough and chose to drive through some in a nearby area. This is what resulted:
L and I and our little red Kia spent almost 2 hours in that mud pit, until finally the police came with a large truck and pulled us out (our friend in the green truck would have pulled us out, but his 4-wheel drive wasn't working that day.)
Recently, I've been conversing with a new acquaintance (that we picked up for lunch in our dirty car, by the way). K and I talked a lot with this receptive lady, but one thing we ended up talking about is that it's more important to clean the inside of a cup and a dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also. (Mt 23) I mean, I can't drink out of a water bottle filled with muddy water, but if the water inside is clean, and there's some dirt on the outside, I can still drink it. Plus, it's a heck of a lot easier to wipe off the outside once the inside is already clean. Cleaning the inside of a water bottle is a heck of a lot harder than the outside. Well, for many people here, they seem to care much more about their reputations and their outward cleanliness than what they are really like on the inside. I really hope they can see that what's on the inside is what truly matters in the long run.
Anyways, at least until summertime, my name is mud.
Sincerely yours,
Mud





