I'm learning a good bit about new culture here and one of the things I am learning about is weddings. I find that weddings are simply a big deal no matter where you go around the world. I had been in K-land all of 3 days when I got to go to a Sheva Henna. This is an event (like a rehearsal dinner) that occurs the night before a wedding. The bride's family have a party at her parent's home and the groom's family have a party at his home. The Sheva Henna I went to was at the groom's home. The men and women congregate in different rooms for the beginning and major duration of the night, eating apart from one another and spending time in conversation apart from one another. The groom's family and guests then go to the bride's house, bringing a large platter/bowl of henna that is festively decorated. The groom's family (unless they are extremely conservative) dances around the bride, puts special jewelry on her, wraps money around her fingers, and takes tons of pictures. She poses with everyone, although no one smiles. Most especially, the bride will not smile, no matter if it is for a picture or not. Whether she is happy or not about getting married, her job is to look sad that she is leaving her family. The groom's family then goes back to his home and everyone dances in a big circle. For those who want, they can dip their pinky finger in the henna to show that they have been to a Sheva Henna.
This is a view from above when the groom's family dances around the bride, waving colorful handkerchiefs and carrying the platter of henna. (The bride is seated in the yellow arm chair.)
However, this was MY view of the bride:
These people get a little crazy when it comes to dancing, especially for wedding events. I definitely had my toes stepped on. But it was fun, although I had no idea what I was doing.
I wonder about these brides and their hopes and dreams. Their destiny after their marriage is to be a slave to their mother-in-law. One or two brides may find they have a new family that welcomes them and lovingly helps them adjust. However, most find they are immediately the cook and housekeeper for well over 10 people, with little to no assistance from the other family members. They must also have children as soon as possible, hopefully to ensure that their husband won't take a second wife. Please remember this bride as I am likely to encounter her weekly as I visit others at her new home.

